Friday, August 8, 2014

Keeping Up with Kimye


"Kim and Kanye never moved into the 9,000 sq ft Bel Air mansion, as they attempted to refurbish the property for a year and a half to no avail.

'They are such perfectionists that staying up-to-date with the latest appliances and home systems, etc., has been exhausting for them,' an insider told E! News previously."-- E! News online, August 7, 2014

Okay.   Well.

I'm trying to imagine that Kimye and Jerry and I are even the same species.

We are proceeding with the bathroom remodel, though.

On Wednesday there was a high-level confab about it. Here are the attendees:

My sister, Madeleine, the designer, and Wes from El Cerrito Cabinet Makers



Geoff, the contractor, scratching his head over how he's going to make new cabinets fit in a 90-year-old house.

I was sitting just outside the doordoing e-mail and standing by in case I needed to be consulted, which happened only twice in an hour-and-a-half.  Jerry was in his study across the hall, writing up an autobiographical chapter of a book on entomologists. Very minor players.

Madeleine brought drawings of what things are going to look like.  Here are the before-photos and after-drawings:




The exceedingly dated, impractical cabinet and vanity, with pulls from Restoration Hardware slapped on some years ago to persuade me that it wasn't really that bad.



What it will look like:  New doors on the upper cabinet, toilet to be moved to new position below it and hidden by a ponywall (which appears as a short pillar to the right in this view).   I'm stealing the space that was the lower cabinet to become drawers in my studio closet.



New vanity, with ponywall to the left to hide toilet from hall.




Completely dated and impractical hall closet, probably last fiddled with in the 1960's.  Again, the pulls added in vain attempt, etc.



 Remodeled hall cabinet, with new upper doors hiding linen closet shelves and lower built-in drawers no longer hiding behind doors.  All three easy-slide drawers to be devoted to fabric storage.




Closet in my studio with preliminary hole bashed through to lower bathroom cabinet.





Four new drawers to be installed in studio closet, all for fabric.  They will be deeper and wider than what's indicated here.


I'm feeling hope about this!  I love the drawers!  I love that the toilet will not longer be front and center, which I hate!

* * * * *

On another topic:  According to Blogger, this is my 600th post.  This despite sitting down every. single. time thinking, "Who cares?  Why bother?  Oh, well, it'll be fun to write, anyway."  

Thanks for reading.





No comments: