Wednesday, July 10, 2013

An Anniversary and Trying to Resist Rick



Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, which always surprises us.  Wow!  How did we get to Year Whatever It Is?






 Here we are 36 years ago yesterday:



 And last month in Switzerland:

We look just the same, right?


leftovers for lunch
Last night, we had reservations at a restaurant in Rockridge in North Oakland, but we bagged it because I didn't feel good and why spend the money on a nice dinner?   

So we changed the reservation to tonight and made a pizza with a Boboli crust, which was pretty good.  There were almost no dishes to clean up (two plates and a cookie sheet), and I wondered why in hell we don't just eat this every night?  Minimal clean-up and all the food groups. 

We're off to Alaska in a week and a half, on a cruise from Seattle up to Sitka and then down the Inside Passage.  It feels way too soon after our last trip.

Here's  what our cabin will look like:




I'm wondering if we're going to share the one small table like we did in Switzerland:

In hotel room in Switzerland:  Jerry checking a map so he can plot where he collected butterflies (in tiny boxes).  To the right, my scrapbook and other travel ephemera.  We shared this one small table each evening.

Or toss a coin over who gets the desk.

I saw part of a Rick Steves marathon on PBS the other night (it was seeing him in a Sound-of-Music-type meadow that motivated us to go to Switzerland), and I thought, "Tell the truth, Rick!  What about security lines, bad seat assignments,  flight delays,  too many train rides, cab drivers in Rome who try to rip you off, having to pay to pee in London, trying to do a wash in a combo-washer-dryer in London that thrashes your clothes for about two days and they're still wet?  What about all that?"

It's Rick-in-a-meadow and this kind of photo that seduces me into booking trips:



Will I ever learn? (Yes!  And my hairdresser says the glaciers are dirty.



Six planes, innumerable trains, and one pair of thrown shoes later:  documentation from our last trip.  Top to bottom:  two scrapbooks of travel ephemera, one printed-out trip journal, photo albums, and  a file of stuff that wouldn't in the scrapbooks.














1 comment:

Buttercup said...

I thought the glaciers were fabulous. I took a small boat photography excursion and got to see literally a hundred whales. I loved Alaska. I thought it would be "nice," but it turned out to be one of my favorite trips and that includes a lot of more exotic places. But I get seduced by the New York Times travel section and I can't get Sri Lanka out of my mind.