Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Whatever Happened in Iowa, Let's Stay Friends



"My idealistic side loves Bernie. My pragmatic side thinks Hillary is better prepared overall. I think they both have done a great job at bringing hidden issues out in the open. I refuse to put either of them down. There's too much at stake."--my friend Celia on Facebook this morning.

Thanks, Celia.  I needed to be reminded.

 Let's stop putting down either of them, because there IS too much at stake.

On the New York Times website,  articles about Clinton and Sanders are followed by a huge number of comments, and putting down the other candidate is the name of the game. Each morning I scan the comments, bracing myself for criticism of Hillary.  Then I get mad.  Then I scroll down and start distributing "likes" to anyone who criticizes Sanders.  No doubt there are Sanders supporters who are doing the same.

Stupid!  Pointless!

Who's the real enemy?  Small-minded people like Toxic Ted and the rest of that loony brigade.

How about this, instead?

Isn't great that we have two intelligent, committed, sane Democratic candidates to choose from?  People who will appoint a similarly sane, liberal person to the Supreme Court, if necessary. People who will protect the freedom to choose an abortion and the right of gay people to marry.  People who don't deny climate change.  People who don't think people are poor because they're lazy.


 Both candidates have a lot to offer


Either Sanders or Clinton will do a hell of a lot better job than any Republican running for President.  Let's be thankful for that.  Let's be deliberative and weigh the issues.  We can choose whichever candidate we prefer in the primary and then jump the (relatively) low fence to vote for the other in the general election, if necessary.

I'm lecturing myself here.  No more demonizing.  No more payback "likes."  What's at stake isn't my ego or passion or identity--a sister Baby Boomer!-- but the welfare of the country.  Deep breath. 

   




No comments: