Friday, December 11, 2015

Daycor Trends You May Not Know About


For the past few months, I've been dipping into home decorating blogs.  Most are written by women in their 20's and 30's, so I'm dropping in on another demographic, and, boy, do I feel it.  It's all been news to me.

I've identified some trends.

1.  Beige is out.  Gray is very in.  In fact it's everywhere.

 Note the sign over the range.  More on that.

An example of a "before" room:

A color found all over my house.  The blogger replaced the beige paint with gray.


2.  You can use the word "décor" in a completely un-ironic way.  As in "I picked up a few things to add to my decor today."  Or "a lot of decor is on sale." 


3.  You can paint a chair:

 This chair went from crimson to gray with something called "chalk paint."

4.  Target, Pottery Barn, and Crate and Barrel are the stores of choice for home decor, depending on  income.  I've seen one gray and white  pillow from Target, below right, umpteen times.  (I bought it on sale in coral.)

At right: the pillow seen everywhere

5. Laundry rooms are tarted-up.  It's not unusual to see a chandelier.

 They'd die if they saw my laundry room.  We're talking bare bulb.


6.  Monograms are popular, especially in the South:

 Even on the front door



Multiple trends: Gray and a monogram


7.  Signs are big (see #1), always directive re happiness.





 


8. "Pops of color" are still in style:



9.  Pillows belong on any and every chair and bench:




10.  Everybody wants a mudroom (above), although sometimes it's just a closet with the doors removed:


That pillow again




 Boots as decorative element.  Chevron design appears on pillows, rugs, bed linens.


11.  Wedding dates can be converted to Roman numerals and used as art:


Even in the bathroom

I never leave comments on these blogs, but there's one I'd love to: "Could 'fun' be used ONLY as a noun?  Please?  Not as an adjective?"

Signed, Crone

No comments: