Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Going Away, R-P Style




 View from the deck of the house where we'll be staying


We're busy packing for a vacation in Inverness/West Marin.

This morning I thought, no wonder older people stop traveling--it's not dreary airport scene or mobs on the freeways; it's all the stuff you have to remember to take with you!  What if we forget to take this, this, and this?

Straight out of bed, I made a list: "Things Especially Not to Be Forgotten."

Top of the list:  several Cheeseboard pizzas to serve as dinner for many, many nights.  The partially-baked ones freeze quite well.

Second on the list:  Several bottles of Prosecco to accompany the pizza.

Not on the list:  healthy vegetables to accompany the pizza, although we're going to buy them and haul them over there.

Third on the list: my  reading glasses, so I can read the completely unrealistic number of books I've packed up, only to be distracted by the books I find in the house we're renting.

Fourth: My make-up tray, purely for morale purposes  (although my glaucoma drops are stored there, too.).

We take two cars for two weeks and forty miles.  I've packed a sewing machine, flannel design wall, fabric, and two albums of photos to be labeled, among other things.  Jerry's car is packed with moth-collecting gear, his top priority.  Occasionally he counts his underwear, but as far as I know, he hasn't packed any clothes.

More later--

P.S. Isn't it hotter than the hinges of Hades?  It was the 90's in Berkeley yesterday, and it's supposed to be just about as hot in Pt. Reyes.

No comments: