Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Roaming the Almond Grove Neighborhood


I love to spot a house with colors that sing.  Sometimes house colors make me think of colors I could use in a quilt,  plus I love looking at historic architecture.

On Saturday, Lin and I wandered around the Almond Grove neighborhood of Los Gatos, a historic district of about 40 acres.  Most of the houses weren't painted particularly imaginative colors, but I was seduced by all the well-kept Victorians with spanking white, intricate trim.  There are Craftsman and Mission- style houses mixed in.


I love that the roses and the front door don't match.



An Almond Grove theme:  Lots of white gingerbread, a picket fence, and roses
The rose-piled entrance




Loved the paint job and the detail.



Note the intricate and pristine gingerbread




Ditto



A jumbled garden and a zany paint job that reminded me of West Berkeley.




Awnings and a wraparound porch




Restful.  I was beginning to feel better about my own (beige)  house.



A pending sale on this one.  The asking price was $3.3 million.




Anyone else think this is over-the-top?  Veering off into adorable?  Time for lunch.

I was immediately attracted to how pristine and well-kept the houses were,  but what would be like to conform to those standards?  All the time on the phone with gardeners, painters, and wood-carvers.  Too much for me.  But it's pleasant to visit.

No comments: