Friday, December 16, 2011

Looking Micro

 I was all set to outline My Recent Social Whirl, dinners and gifts and generosity (and also some weariness at quite so many dinners out on consecutive nights), but today I came across a slew of posts on my Facebook page about the death of Christopher Hitchens.  He died yesterday of esophageal cancer at 62.   For months, he's been writing about his decline in Vanity Fair, clear-eyed and brutally honest.

 Hitchens's brother Peter wrote a heart-breaking tribute to his brother ("In Memoriam, My Courageous Brother Christopher, 1949-2011" at www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2075133).    I read it and felt  such a resonance with the recent death of my friend Rob.  Both of them, too soon.  So sad, so  unfair.  My God, is this what lies ahead for one after another of us?  I could feel myself sliding into a global funk, beyond sadness into what Jerry calls  "doooom."

When they were small, my adoptive nieces next door could instantly transport me out of these funks. One day when Leah was eight, she and I counted all the lavender plants in about a six-block radius, which takes a lot of careful looking. I couldn't believe how quickly I shed my worries. And it wasn't about distraction or denial: her world was very real.  Is very real.  Today  I'm trying to figure out the equivalent of counting lavender bushes. Just thinking about it makes me feel on more solid ground.  Doooom is quicksand.

2 comments:

Bearflag said...

The cure:
Work outside for at least 4 hours per day. Get good and dirty.
Macaroni and cheese.
More fried potatoes.
Red wine, cheap.
Kill your television.
Ditch the death books.
Read everything here:
1. "Angle of Repose," by Wallace Stegner

2. "The Grapes of Wrath," by John Steinbeck

3. "Sometimes a Great Notion," by Ken Kesey

4. "The Call of the Wild," by Jack London

5. "The Big Sleep," by Raymond Chandler

6. "Animal Dreams," by Barbara Kingsolver

7. "Death Comes for the Archbishop," by Willa Cather

8. "The Day of the Locust," by Nathanael West

9. "Blood Meridian," by Cormac McCarthy

10. "The Maltese Falcon," by Dashiell Hammett

11. "The Ox-Bow Incident," by Walter Van Tilburg Clark

12. "English Creek," by Ivan Doig

13. "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues," by Tom Robbins

14. "Snow Falling on Cedars," by David Guterson

15. "On the Road," by Jack Kerouac

16. "The Joy Luck Club," by Amy Tan

17. "Lonesome Dove," by Larry McMurtry

18. "McTeague," by Frank Norris

19. "My Name Is Aram," by William Saroyan

20. "A River Runs Through It," by Norman Maclean

21. "The Left Hand of Darkness," by Ursula K. Le Guin

22. "Coyote Waits," by Tony Hillerman

23. "Play It as It Lays," by Joan Didion

24. "The Monkey Wrench Gang," by Edward Abbey

25. "Vineland," by Thomas Pynchon

26. "Earth Abides," by George K. Stewart

27. "Crooked Little Heart," by Anne Lamott

28. "The Underground Man," by Ross Macdonald

29. "Where I'm Calling From," by Raymond Carver

30. "The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts," by Maxine Hong Kingston

31. "L.A. Confidential," by James Ellroy

32. "The House of the Spirits," by Isabel Allende

33. "Women in Their Beds," by Gina Berriault

34. "Rumors of Peace," by Ella Lefland

35. "The River Why," by David James Duncan

36. "Riders of the Purple Sage," by Zane Grey

37. "Shane," by Jack Schaefer

38. "Stones for Ibarra," by Harriet Doerr

39. "The Big Sky," by A.B. Guthrie

40. "Trout Fishing in America," by Richard Brautigan

41. "The House Made of Dawn," by N. Scott Momaday

42. "The Milagro Beanfield War," by John Nichols

43. "The Last Tycoon," by F. Scott Fitzgerald

44. "Oil!," by Upton Sinclair

45. "Mariette in Ecstasy," by Ron Hansen

46. "The Virginian," by Owen Wister

47. "A Yellow Raft in Blue Water," by Michael Dorris

48. "Ceremony," by Leslie Marmon Silko

49. "Hawaii," by James Michener

50. "The Postman Always Rings Twice," by James M. Cain

LizR said...

I have read some but not all of these, resembles list I saw from Stephen King. Can't drink red wine but can white (& AM). Death books occasionally helpful but don't need because grim reaper crops up anyway. Haven't had mac and cheese for a least 10 years. Good suggestions!