Monday, August 22, 2011

"Let Me Down Easy"

On Saturday I went to see Anna Deveare Smith's "Let Me Down Easy," at Berkeley Rep for the third time, and I loved it for the third time.  This  last time I inadvertently became a ticket broker when I bought three extra tickets online while being distracted talking to Jerry whether or not he'd be able to go.  No problem re-selling them, though.  And to the ten people who went with me  to one or another of the performances--Laura, Leah, Annika, Lin, Kate, Bob, Pat, Judy, Claudia, and Suzanne:  wasn't it great?

I don't want to write a review of the show;  there are plenty of those online.  I just want to say that each time I felt I was being ushered to the brink of heartbreak--injustice, illness, death--and then it turned out not to be a brink we'd topple over, but a journey Anna Deveare Smith guided us through,  full of richness and truth.  Each time I emerged into the cool foggy Berkeley night feeling so thankful that I'd made the journey and wondering if I could go one more time. But I don't think so.  The show closes on September 4.


No comments: